Migrate to Australia as a café or restaurant manager

migrate to australia as café restaurant manager ozlinks


Last Updated on November 14, 2023 by Ozlinks Education

Can a café or restaurant manager get PR in Australia?

The restaurant or cafe manager is responsible for managing the front-of-house and back-of-house staff in addition to overseeing all aspects of the restaurant’s operations to ensure that everything is operating efficiently. This is a role with several facets and hats. A good restaurant or cafe manager must be extremely skilled in all aspects of running the business, including managing people, finances, time, and other resources, among other things, to guarantee that the restaurant is successful and profitable.

The food and beverage sector in Australia is enormous, and it includes restaurants, cafeterias, cafés, fast-food outlets, pubs, delis, food producing operations, and catering company. Australia has always been a popular destination for skilled restaurant or cafe managers wishing to advance their careers and establish themselves in a multicultural culture. If you have a hospitality management degree and at least 3 to 5 years of work experience as a restaurant or café manager, you can migrate to Australia under the occupation ANZSCO 141111: cafe or restaurant manager.

In this article, Ozlinks Education will go through some of the key skills and responsibilities of a restaurant manager that should be kept in mind when you want to apply for working visa for your cafe or restaurant managers.

Are cafe and restaurant managers in high demand in Australia?

According to the National Skills Commission’s (NSC) 2023 Skills Priority List report, cafe or restaurant managers are classified as a no shortage across Australia’s states and territories, as illustrated in the table below:

Explanation:  No Shortage (NS): not identified any significant difficult-to-fill job vacancies











Cafe or Restaurant Manage








What qualifications do I need?

Cafe and restaurant managers need to have at least ANZSCO Skill Level 2, which is equivalent to an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) associate degree, Advanced Diploma, or Diploma.

A qualification that is required, highly relevant major fields of study include hospitality management and food and beverage services. Please contact us if you require assistance with your qualification. Do you require RPL certification? Please visit RPL page.

To understand more about the AQF level, visit AQF level page.

What types of visas are available?

The occupation of cafe or restaurant managers is currently on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). If you are a skilled cafe or restaurant managers, the following visas may be available to you:

Check out our visa points calculator to see if you are eligible for a skilled visa. If you need help deciding what to do next, our migration experts are here to help.

Can a manager of a cafe or restaurant apply for permanent residency in Australia?

The occupation of cafe and restaurant manager 141111 is on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). The Department of Home Affairs has finally revealed the pathway that will allow all TSS (subclass 482) visa holders to gain permanent residency through the Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) visa through the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream.

This means that regardless of whether they are sponsored in a short-term (STSOL), long-term (MLTSSL), or regional occupation list (ROL) occupation, all TSS (subclass 482) visa holders will have a path to permanent residency. To learn more, go to Major Changes to the TSS Visa Pathway.

Cafe and restaurant manager can potentially gain permanent residency through a skilled visa. Checkout to see if you are eligible for a skilled visa.

Do I need to have a skills assessment?

A cafe or restaurant manager who wishes to migrate to Australia under the Skilled Visa programme needs to have a skills assessment. A skills assessment is a mandatory requirement for visa 491, visa 494, and visa 190. That is, you cannot apply for any of these visas without a skills assessment.

The result of the skills assessment will indicate whether it can be used to apply for a visa, and only a positive result is valid for your General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa application.

Your skills assessment result is valid for three years from the day it was issued. This means that you must apply for a visa within the next three years.

Visit this page to learn more about our migration skill assessments services.

What does a cafe or restaurant manager do?

Cafe and restaurant managers organise and control the operations of cafes, restaurants, and related establishments to provide dining and catering services.

Their job involves:
  • planning menus in consultation with Chefs.
  • planning and organizing special functions.
  • arranging the purchasing and pricing of goods according to budget.
  • maintaining records of stock levels and financial transactions.
  • ensuring dining facilities comply with health regulations and are clean, functional and of suitable appearance.
  • conferring with customers to assess their satisfaction with meals and service.
  • selecting, training and supervising waiting and kitchen staff.
  • may make reservations, greet guests, and assist in taking orders.

How can I get a job in Australia as a cafe or restaurant manager?

If you are a highly trained cafe or restaurant manager with more than 5 years of experience in the ‘Food and Beverage business and are searching for a sponsor job in Australia, we have employers who are looking for skilled migrants and are willing to sponsor you to work as a cafe or restaurant manager. Visit the job placement page to fill out an application online.

Why do I need help with skill assessment?

Each assessing authority that evaluates skills has its own set of rules, procedures, and time limits. Your chosen ANZSCO occupation from the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will be subject to the criteria, which have the support of an assessing authority. The assessing authority will evaluate your chosen occupation based on their professional standards.

Ozlinks Education is an agency that helps people understand what the skill assessment requirements are. We can help you choose the right occupation based on your qualifications and the work experience that you have. We’ll be able to find the right assessing authority and advise you on what they need.

We are experienced in document checking, so you can be sure you’ve done everything you need to meet the skills assessment application criteria and give yourself the best chance of getting a positive result.

If you need help with the skill assessments for the ANZSCO 141111 occupation, we can help you. 

Skills Assessment Assistance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

// function disable copy envent function add_this_script_footer(){